When disaster strikes, the time for preparation is over.
We all know this, but many people don’t start building their network until they need help. They’re looking for a job, trying to hire someone, or soliciting support for a cause. Wouldn’t it be great to have a strong network of relationships already in place?
Building your network before you need it has several benefits:
- Develop a reputation for being a giver. If you wait until you need a job, you’re going to introduce yourself to someone in one breath and ask them to help you in the next. Show that you aren’t just in it for yourself by asking how you can help them. Give service. When the time comes that you need help, people will be much more willing to reciprocate.
- Be known for what you know. It isn’t what you know or who you know—it’s who knows what you know. Give yourself plenty of time to demonstrate your skills, abilities, and talents. When opportunities arise, people will think of you if they know what you’re good at.
- Let people see you at your best. It’s hard to find a substitute for facetime, so make time to broaden your sphere of influence in a new way on a regular basis, even if it’s just once per quarter.
- Making the right connections takes time. The first people you meet might be able to help you out by putting you in touch with someone in their network, and those introductions take time. It also takes time to strengthen and nurture your connections. Don’t wait until you’re rushed because the clock is ticking.
- Know the person to go to. With a rich network, you have options. You know who the right person to talk to is. You know how to approach them. Most importantly, you’ll know how you can help them, too.
- You’re ready when opportunity knocks. Timing plays a critical role in career progression. If you’re well-positioned, you’ll be more likely to reap the benefit of being in the right place at the right time.
- Sleep better at night. The peace of mind that comes from knowing that you’re ready for the unplanned and unfortunate truly is a precious commodity. It’s hard to put a price on peace of mind, so invest in yourself today!
Build your network before you need it. We’re here to help.
- Join the chapter. Basic memberships are free. Premium memberships support our scholarship fund and enjoy discounts to chapter events.
- Connect with us on LinkedIn. Post jobs and discuss the events shaping your industry in our LinkedIn group.
- Like our Facebook page or follow us on Twitter. Enjoy curated articles on personal growth, productivity, and leadership Get timely reminders of events that you can easily share with others. Learn tips for getting the most out of your day.
- Register for an upcoming event. No matter your schedule—breakfast, lunch, or evening—you will soon have an opportunity to shake hands with some of the best and brightest minds in the Valley.